Thursday, March 10, 2011

Moving forward


Phalaenopsis, Fushia 11x14, oil
 I've been working hard for the last six months or so.  Beginning in the fall of last year my life shifted.  As an artist that usually means that you're due for a significant change in your work.  This is the result.  This piece shows an exponential leap forward in my understanding of painting in oil. It makes me so happy!  In my work I focus on design, color and texture.  This painting is strong in all three areas and is very compatible with the body of work I've created in water based media.  Sweet!

4 comments:

  1. It was so great seeing you and talking to you last night at the Luminous Lands show. I wish I had seen this post before. Somehow I had seen the image (FB?) and commented to you that I liked it but after reading what you had written I wished I could have had the conservation about WHAT created your "leap" in understanding.

    .... Always hoping for my own ephiphany!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! It was so good seeing you as well. I loved meeting your daughter and grandson.

    I love your question and am going to make it the topic of my next post. I think it's worth exploring. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your brushwork. I remember the first time I ever saw a Van Gogh in person I was struck speechless by his brushwork...almost sculptural. Your negative space reminds me of that...makes this much more than just a painting of a flower. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I do love playing with the paint and am glad my passion for that comes through. As for Van Gogh, I take that as high praise. I'm also glad you see this as more than just a flower...it's about how I feel about the orchid and the act of painting it. I also loved the taffeta and satin backdrop. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete