Sunday, November 25, 2012

Adventure, The California Central Coastline


Santa Cruz Seawall
 For the last two years I've enjoyed traveling the central coast of southern California.  These are a few oil paintings I've done during that time frame.  Santa Cruz Seawall and Viridian Cove were done from the deck of the Conception, a 75' dive boat from Santa Barbara, CA.  The first time I sailed on Conception was the first time I picked up an oil brush.  The work I did on that trip (at least the oils!) will never see the light of day.  I attempted to paint on warped canvas board supported by a tenuous watercolor easel and some bristle brushes that quickly shed every bristle!  It was painful!

Viridian Cove
   Several years and two trips later I'm very comfortable both on the deck of a boat and in front of the canvas.
El Matador, Cormarants
I was happy to hit my stride on my most recent trip.  I painted two paintings a day and returned to the mainland ready to continue painting outdoors on a regular basis.  I currently go out on Thursday mornings both alone and with another painter or two and have taken trips up and down the coast from Santa Barbara to Malibu.  Someone's got to do it....The day I painted El Matador I managed to forget my white paint and had to hike up and down a considerable cliff to retrieve it!  I shared the experience of being at Point Magu with my daughter from Seattle.  I want to make sure she remembers just how special it is here!  I'll post some more on my web site in the next few days.  Getting my web presence up to date has been a little painful!  More on that later.  In the meantime, happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Point Magu, I Found the Ocean Breathing

No comments:

Post a Comment