Sunday, February 23, 2014

Fuel for the Creative Fire



I've been immersed in classical music for the last two days.  Friday night I was able to exhibit some of my art in connection with the New West Symphony's current concert Pictures at an Exhibition.  I took a few representative pieces of my plein air work

The particular composition that the concert was named after was written by musician Modest Mussorgsky in response to the death of a dear friend, the Russian artist Victor Hartmann.  Hartmann died very young at 39.  Another of Hartmann's friends, art critic Vladimir Stanssov organized a memorial exhibition of work by Hartmann.  Mussorgsky was so moved by the exhibit and the death of his friend that he wrote the touching piece that gives the concert its name.

Principal Viola
Lauren Chipman
Friday night I set up my work and was able to attend the concert as well.   I was seated next to a woman who was especially excited to be there because she had new hearing aids!  Her experience gave me a deeper appreciation of my own hearing.  I took even more joy from what I heard by sharing the time and space I spent listening next to her.  During intermission she realized that I was one of the guest artists which was my moment of celebrity status. During the second half of the concert she shared her amazing opera glasses with me.  They were heavy and the most optically clear lenses I've ever used.  I could see the spit on the woodwinds and the impeccable makeup of principal viola Lauren Chipman.

I also connected with Sarah Hodges and Andrea Landin who are the director and manager, respectively, of the Symphony's education department.  They are in charge of the VIP Family programs and invited me back to be an art facilitator for the Symphony's VIP Families. I was able to work backstage with the musicians and education staff. I had the children do gestural line drawings to two movements played by symphony members. One was a lyrical piece played by the brass section that elicited curvy, graceful lines. The other was played on viola by Lauren Chipman and was grumpy and discordant. The kids got it! If you're in the area and interested in your family being involved with the symphony check them out here:  VIP Family Club
Andrea Landin, Sarah Hodges and some of the VIPs

Master conductor and Music Director of
New West Symphony,  Marcelo Lehninger
I'm part of a lineage who is passing on our heritage.  You know, the one where we completely experience life through the Arts.  Amazing.  We are such gifts.  Life is so precious.

Multi-sensory experiences bring us more into the present moment and allow us to essentially slide back and forth in our memories.  They can compress and expand time.

 Touching the lives of children plants the seeds for a long term relationship with the arts.  As I left the concert hall last night I overheard one woman refer back to her school days (no doubt 50 years ago) and how she would have loved to be in the brass section last night.  She said the only solo she ever had was Taps!  Too funny, but obviously her early experience left a life long imprint.

Chairman of the Board Karl Klessig,
me, Andrea Landin, Sarah
Hodges
This experience further reinforces my own art philosophy, which is process and experience based.  I'm all about immediate present moment awareness and emotional connection.  Once again my heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment