Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'm Painting for the Symphony!


Soap Bubble Nebula

I was approached last week by the New West Symphony to take part in a project. Yes, they called me.  Who gets a call like that?!!!  They are inviting a handful of artists to create work inspired by Gustav Holst's The Planets orchestral suite next month.    Be sure to get tickets right away and tell me when you're coming so I can look for you at one of the performances.  Here's the link.  I should be at all three venues and I'll keep you posted on details.  I'd love to have as many friends as possible come!

I'm pretty excited about the project. I get to choose any planet I'd like...when I heard Mars I couldn't resist.  It's big, rich and glorious.  The music actually inspired some of the theme music John Williams wrote for Star Wars.  It's remarkable how modern it sounds even after 100 years.  He wrote it in 1914-16.

Mixed Media/ Oil 4"x4"

A piece that has that kind of cultural impact for generations is pretty special and to have the opportunity to take on a commission for a symphony orchestra is remarkable.   So I've gotten started with a vengance and the whole thing has captured my imagination like few other subjects ever have.  

As much as I love landscape I've discovered something that is probably pretty obvious to anyone who has explored space.  There's no horizon line.  Nope.  None.  And that has set my imagination free like nothing else ever has.  

Even as an artist I've tied myself to so many "shoulds."  I should paint things people can understand.  I'm not a real artist unless I can do everything.  If I show people how I really see they won't "get it."  


Pluto, What's not to love?  Check out my brilliant son's site:  Is Pluto a planet?, It's not included in the symphony as it wasn't discovered until 1930.  And, of course, we know what's happened since then.  Not a planet

The more I paint as a professional the more I know this.  What I think matters.  What I feel matters.  When I expose my feelings I open other people up as well.  My vulnerability opens up possibilities that wouldn't exist if I wasn't willing to be seen.  When I see deeply I help others see in new ways.  When I engage my imagination others do as well.  So....I need to get over myself and get to the paint.

Pluto-Not a Planet, 3"x3" oil, I
just couldn't leave it out.

Being a knowledge fiend but knowing that I didn't have time to search for images and get started with painting I got my cousin Ben Green on the job.  He spent a precious Saturday morning downloading images from Nasa sources and giving me some basic insights into the "look" of the planets, moons, astroids, etc.  It would have taken me a month to get through all of that.  Pays to have a good researcher in the family.  I got a crash course in the solar system.  Thank you Ben!  The images here are only a handful of what he found for me.  

I glanced at what I downloaded from Ben on my phone and tried not to absorb too much information before setting out to create mock ups for future paintings.  The little jewels I painted were a pleasure to create and much more than just practice.  They are the beginning of something very special.

I forsee creating a long term project from this tiny beginning. This has captured my passion and my imagination as no other project I've ever done has.  The synthesis of music and painting along with the landscape of space are compelling to me.

Io, one of Jupiter's moons

 The thing I've found the most remarkable is how I felt when I began to paint landscapes without horizon lines.  I basically blew the lid off of my approach to painting "things" "out there" when I painted space.  It's hard to describe, but the horizon line has created a sense of separation for me.  Earth from sky, sky from ocean, it's all been distinct and delineated. Space...is free.  I feel I can paint without boundaries...Color, texture, sensation are all that exist.   This is going to be a joy!

This One Captures My Imagination,
I thought it was Titan...but that was
before I went back to read the labels on my reference photos. It's a detail of  Io,  one of
Jupiter's moons.  I think I'm just 
making this stuff up as I paint but Nasa says otherwise....

So, save the dates:  Performances of The Planets by the New West Symphony are March 27-29 in Oxnard, Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica.  My, as yet uncreated painting, Mars (oil 30"x30) will be on display.  I'm looking forward to seeing you at one of the performances!  Below are a few more photo references and paintings from my first series.  I'll have them on my web site asap and they are all available for sale.

Here's a little bit of insight from Wikipedia, "The Planets", Op. 32, is a seven-movement orchestral suite by the English composer Gustav Holst, written between 1914 and 1916. Each movement of the suite is named after a planet of the Solar System and its corresponding astrological character as defined by Holst.*

To a large extent Holst was inspired as much or more by the mythological aspects of each planet, thus the symbolic meaning attributed to each movement.  The symbolism is inextricably bound up in the sound.  For me that will express itself in abstract, gestural paint dominated by color and texture.

With the exception of Earth, which is not observed in astrological practice, all the planets are included in the symphony.*

Venus, the Bringer of Peace
Mercury, the Winged Messenger
Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity
Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
Uranus, the Magician
Neptune, the Mystic

Venus, 1 of 2 paintings, 3"x3", oil
by MG King

I've done other work with the New West Symphony.  They are a pleasure to work with.  Their dedication to creating and supporting classical music, outreach to the visual arts community and service to the public are evident in everything they do. 

Their free lectures and "meet the artists" events are worth putting on your calendar.  Check out my previous blog post:  Fuel for the Creative Fire

Just listening to Mars again and it is absolutely amazing!  My painting for the symphony will be 30x30 which is smallish for what I'm feeling but this is just the beginning....If you could see my face right now I'm smiling as wide as I can while I listen to storm troopers tromp around the planets.  Boom boom BOOOOMMMM!


This is a diagram of the sixty photos Voyager took while on its trip around the solar system 25+ years ago.  Might be a decent layout for a series...I see a lot of square formats.  It's interesting that the pattern of photos shown in the diagram among the planets Saturn, Venus, Earth and Jupiter looks vaguely like a symphonic hall.  And, of course,  the fibonacci sequence crosses over all of the patterns related to this subject....music, movement and visual patterns.  Look at it all spinning!

On that note ;) here's a link to something that blew my mind.  Look for the spiral pattern of the letters that correspond to the musical chords on the keyboard.  Yup, there's that shape again.  Spacey ;) Sylvain Lalonde's Fibonacci Sequence in Music.  Genius.

Be sure to "like" my Facebook page to keep up to date on this and other projects I have going on!  Mary-Gail King's Facebook Page

*













1 comment:

  1. It is cool, when you can express your emotions by some paintings or writing. For me it seems to be absolutely impossible. That is why, when I need any essay to write, I asked http://www.au.essay-writing-place.com/ for some help

    ReplyDelete