Sunday, June 26, 2011

Process

When I paint I enjoy the journey I take.  I will usually have some kind of concept or vague image in mind when I start a piece.  As I move forward that image evolves and usually clarifies itself.  This painting has been evolving since January.  I posted my start on January 15.  It's only now beginning to feel finished!

Tempest, I thought I'd finished
it here...Ha!
It's a confusing piece that reminded me of a cove I visited on Anacapa Island last fall with a friend.  It was beautiful and felt very remote from the boat that was moored below the lighthouse.  The sea lions and the green of the algae on the rocks were amazing.  We ended up in a surge of water that began to pull us in towards the cliffs.  I really didn't know what was going on and was glad to be in a kayak with someone who knew what he was doing. We left quickly.  I don't think the front end touched the water until we got back around the rock. I'm glad I didn't understand what was going on...I'm also glad I was able to go there.

This piece has been interesting because it fascinates me and continues to draw me in...I can't stop messing around with it.  When I finally finished (see Tempest) I put it to the side in the studio where I could live with it for a little while before mounting and sealing it.  I've developed that process to the point where I feel very comfortable with it.  Ha!  I'm really glad I continued what I was doing because there was more to learn.


Obfuscation

After I put a few more layers of matte medium than I usually do and ended up with a nice even finish that should have protected the piece I discovered a potential disaster.  The medium lifted just a touch near the edge of the paper where it was mounted on the masonite.  When I tried to re-glue it I ended up with a mess that I had to pull apart.  I ended up with a piece I call Obfuscation. It just needs a small amount of bright color to make it work.

Below you'll see the beginnings of another piece.  The film that came off of "Tempest" is hung over  an architectural rendering of a lamp and a frieze I designed years ago.  I'm playing with layers and this looks amazing backlit.  I'm not sure where that will go but...It would never have happened without the "mistake" I made sealing the first painting.
The film layered over other renderings
Backlit layers


Frieze detail
Detail of lamp rendering








No comments:

Post a Comment