Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kayak Painting and Exploration


I have my legs tangled up in kelp here to keep from drifting away as I paint some sea lion bulls.  My painting kit is a small box I put together with some hardware that keeps either an 8x10 or 10x10 canvas panel in place.  There's a tiny mixing palette.  This setup is for oils.  They're bulkier than my watercolors but respond  better when splashed with salt water! The paintings are a sweet reminder of a wonderful experience!
The sea lions who posed for us.  Thanks for all of the photos Marian!  See her blog by going to Musings of a Painter listed under Blogs I Follow.  She has many detailed posts about painting on the trip.

Putting on makeup or painting?
I think this is where I was doing the waterfall piece.

I adore this shot!  My friends Tanya Radik and Diane Nelson Gold look like early American explorers in 21st century attire.  I'm just hanging out in my own little world happy as the proverbial clam.  Thanks again to Marian Fortunati for the photos.

David Gallup showing me the sea cliffs up close and personal.  I was afraid of being crashed into the walls by uncontrollable forces (lol) before this trip.  This kind of kayaking is sooo tame but still took a little courage when I first tried it last year.  It was worth conquering my fears for the adventure.  I hope I can do this kind of thing for YEARS!  I plan on taking good care of myself just for that:)  White water rafting would be fantastic...

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome, of course. YOU helped make this whole experience even better. I too, hope to enjoy new adventures in this fabulous spot in the years to come.
    My first time swimming with sea lions... My first time in a kayak... I thought last year would be "un top able" ... but then we did more daring things this year....
    Life is grand... Love you in the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete