Monday, December 24, 2012

My Christmas Card to You...







Here's this year's Christmas photo thanks to Andy's photo magic:)

Merry Christmas!

I'm a bit quirky sometimes. As a teenager one of my favorite feelings was that of melancholy.  I still love tragic ballads but have learned to move past them!  So bear with me on this letter.  There is a hint of tragedy but I hope to leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling!

There have been many years in the recent past when I haven't sent out cards.  The first time I stopped was because I was so sad I couldn't bring myself to write about my year.  A long term marriage was breaking up and it colored the way I looked at everything in a negative way.  The next year I was actually happier but I didn't know how to explain the new family configuration.  It took me a long time to extricate my new life from my old and I couldn't make sense of it myself much less put it in a quick family newsletter!  


December 30 last year my divorce was final.  I didn't really think the "official" decree would make much of a difference. I'd been on my own effectively for five years.  Of course it did.  The psychological impact of being truly on my own was very powerful.  I was glad I'd taken my time with the divorce because that did mitigate the shock. But wow, I was free. 

I couldn't just let the day pass without noting it so I hosted a "Transitions Party."  (As far as I know I've coined that particular title.  Clever:)  The focus was not on marriage or ex-bashing but on positive movement forward.  I didn't even tell everyone who was invited what the meaning behind the name of the party was.  I had friends come to the studio for a pot luck, was lucky enough to find a great musician (Matt Zeltzer) and we just had a great party.  

This year I've accomplished lots of stuff...if you want a recap of the "things" you can look back in the blog:)

 But the thing I focus on now is how to create joy in my life.  I'm not just talking about happiness, although that is important.  I'm talking about the deep, contented and uplifted feeling that lies in the center of my being when I pay attention.  I take time as I move through each day to be grateful.  I meditate.  I spend time outdoors and with people I love.  I give myself permission to take adventures, to add pleasant events to my days and I try to have at least one good belly laugh a day!  I send good thoughts out to people I see throughout my day.  THIS stuff makes a difference.  These things are the true accomplishments.

I live in a beautiful place.  I have an amazing studio where I work alongside loving, caring and talented artists who make a difference in the world.  I'm surrounded by other people who are grateful for their lives.  My children love me dearly and want me to be a regular part of their lives.  I fill my days with things I love: movement, good food, good friends, useful work and much more.  

In the meantime, I'm sitting in the middle of the traditional Christmas mess writing this, going through old photos and getting ready for the last few errands.  Reflection is one of the best parts of the holidays.  Tonight I'll enjoy a Christmas Eve service and special time with my children.  I'm a very fortunate woman and I've crafted an amazing life.  

If you are reading this you are most likely a friend and I want you to know just how grateful I am for you.  I believe thoughts create our world even when we simply hold them within ourselves so I appreciate being invited into yours.  Know that this little note contains my love and best wishes for you.  

Always, Mary-Gail



May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
traditional gaelic blessing
Laura and me 14 (!) years ago



Andy's first Christmas


Laura's second Christmas.  All she wanted was candy but she looks
like she loved the doll her grandmother gave her.   I was very fond of the Lite-Brite.



Andy's last Christmas as an only child.  We didn't think we could have another child who could come close to being as amazing as he until we met Laura!
This one just fills my heart with joy.  I can still feel that little cheek!


Aren't they cute?



4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Dear Friend! So happy you shared your wonderful Christmas thoughts! Peace, grace, joy and happiness in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie! You play a huge part in many of those old memories! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words and thoughts, as well as life and woman!! Making me take pause to appreciate what I have - and that always makes for a better day. Thank you MG and Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Annette! Thank you for being part of my newest chapter.

    ReplyDelete