Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Yoga and the Power of Commitment


This won't be long because I'm tired, it's late and even though I haven't finished everything I set out to do today (like post next month's class schedule) I need some sleep tonight!  I snuck in late to a yoga class this afternoon where Audrey Waltzer, owner of the Camarillo Yoga Studio was teaching.  It was a bit tricky going straight from the car to a warrior two series of asanas but I was careful and by the end of class I received a beautiful gift from Audrey in the form of the quote below. After hearing it I understood why I was meant to be in the class. 

I've been evaluating goals and setting plans in place for the next year throughout the month of December.  It's exhausting!  I've felt as if I have to push hard to achieve my goals when what I need to do is breathe and trust in the process.  I'm making good choices.  Everything will fall into place at its appointed time. Here's my intention for 2013.  

"But when I said that nothing had been done I erred in one important matter. We had definitely committed ourselves and were halfway out of our ruts. We had put down our passage money — booked a sailing to Bombay. This may sound too simple, but is great in consequence. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"

William Hutchison Murray, The Scottish Himalaya Expedition (1951)

Photography copyright Steve Gallup


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Anne. I hope so. I live life full on and have found that sharing my journey helps others. Being Irish I like to spin a good yarn as well. (All puns intended! see December 20 blog entry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read and hear what you're up to, MG!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marian. It helps me stay positive and focused to write here. I can get a little scattered and down sometimes and this is a great way to shift that. It feels like it's doing something good in the world as well:)

    ReplyDelete