Wednesday, September 3, 2014

30 Paintings in 30 Days!

This is the first time I've taken part in any type of challenge where I'm creating a new habit as part of  a group.  I'm a bit of an independent type but have learned over time that groups can help me achieve even more than I would alone!  

Sunshine and Cloudless Skies, 16x20 Oil
Lesley Seata is an artist and blogger with a radio show and a large following of other artists she encourages to become better at what we do.  This is the fourth time she's put this challenge together.  I have a number of friends who have participated and really enjoyed it.  I'll link you to their sites later on as I get into some daily posting.  Yikes!  Daily, not weekly.  I won't keep that up after September because I prefer blog posts that are a bit more reflective but here goes!

The biggest benefit to the challenge is that I'll finish a painting a day no matter what.  No perfecting it, no putting off painting due to administrative work, travel, sleep, eating ;) I can play a little catch up and I'm personally not one to beat myself up about missing a day, but I'm not likely to miss any days either.  I'm a type A artist. 

Rock Study, Moro Rock, Sequoia National Forest, 6x6 oil
Nuff said.  I have to figure out how to upload the photos to Leslie's blog now.  I've missed the deadline for day one but will post it here.  It's the rock painting inspired by my recent trek up Moro Rock in Sequoia National Forest.

"Later today"
I finished the sunflowers below and it's a really nice little painting.  I like it.  It's very satisfying.  I've made what I think of as making a run for finishing something larger to post tomorrow but that's not going to happen.  I'll just work on another small one.  I've already noticed some interesting benefits.
1.  I'm even more focused on painting each day since I'm holding myself accountable to someone else!
2.  No diddling around with a painting.
3.  Each one is a very real stepping stone to the next.
4.  I'm thinking strategically about finishing small pieces and still getting time to work on the biggies. It's great for production!  Thinking ahead for the holidays!

"Indian Summer"  9x12Day 3, I'm obivously enjoying the
warm, golden palette of September.  Wait till we hit October!
I call it the Golden Month here in Cali.
I was showing my friend Christine Leong the pieces I've done so far on my iPad.  Playing with cropping we saw all kinds of interesting areas I can develop.  Christine is a traditional Chinese painter, so her work is very different from mine.  She does a lot of painting on silk. (Love her wearables, check them out!)  Anyway, being in her studio turned my mind to using more stylized work.  In looking at the sunflower pieces, Sunshine and Cloudless Skies in particular, I can see some interesting patterns embeded in the design.  I'm going to print out some photos and start playing with the design to see what patterns emerge.  I see twirling vines and a lot of mystery hidden in the painting.  It will be fun to explore what's there...


2 comments: