Thursday, April 28, 2011

Perfectionism is the enemy of action

I keep waiting to have "exactly" the right thing to say here. I have a number of brilliant but unexplored ideas rambling around in my head but they just haven't made it to the page.  They have to be perfect you know.  That just isn't happening and I really want to keep my blog relevant and up to date. So I'll blog on!

I have a million things to do and feel like I am doing few, if any, of them well right now.  Well, I am doing a pretty good job of criticizing myself so, in the interest of recognizing what I HAVE done (trying not to  judge quality:)  here's a list of my accomplishments today.  Some may seem trivial but I promise that the most mundane were actually the hardest to do.  If I eat, sleep and drink plenty of water everything else falls into place.

Here are my accomplishments for the day:

Waking up.  (8 AM, slept in for 15 minutes)
I went to yoga and practiced for 1 1/2 hours.
I ate breakfast.  This would have made my schedule tight anyway between getting a shower before my 11 AM oil painting class and filling my empty gas tank but I had to
Rear view of my Prius with an armoire inside it.
retrieve my runaway dogs from a neighbor's house making breakfast a miracle.  I ended up getting to class at noon.
Continued work on an oil painting of a home across the street from my studio.
Ate lunch thanks to a friend's sandwich run to the local deli.
Painted and went through some design books.
Managed to move an armoire to my apartment in my Prius (impressive eh?)  It had just enough clearance to fit with my seat pulled all the way to the front.
Went to my figure painting class and then got to visit with friends for a while.  (I ate during class, pizza delivery.  We artists know how to live.)

So to put my day into perspective, even I, perfectionist that I am, have to admit that I managed to do a lot today.  I had a full night's sleep, time with friends, good food and work that I love.  I also live in a community where my neighbors care enough to call me about my lost dogs.  I'm frustrated with trying to do everything all at once and with not painting the way I'd like but when I look at my list I realize I've done everything I expected to and more.

Tomorrow I'll take care of some errands, move some more of my household items and paint.  And paint, and paint.  I'll also be grateful that my seat of the pants approach to life seems to work and enjoy some more of the journey.

4 comments:

  1. Glory!!

    You lived a brilliant day!!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good one. I need to learn to appreciate those hectic days more. In the meantime the move is done except for some sorting in the garage and odds 'n' ends. Thanks Steve and Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people like to make a detailed outline of a story before they begin the first chapter, feeling that it is essential to know with certainty the destination before beginning the journey. Others would find that rather impossible, because they know that during the writing process, the story will change many times during its unfolding--they are the ones that use up reams of paper, littering the floor with discards and scribbling notes on napkins and loose receipts when necessary. Others write the entire story in their minds pacing it out during sleepless nights or rambling walks and then writing, in one dazzling stroke, a flawless manuscript, without any apparent draft. Being in transition is confusing, because methods that used to work, might not be as effective. I have a feeling that something beautiful is unfolding in you. And perfection is way over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth. You always were a pretty smart cookie and a great cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete