Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Painting a Shark's Head

Shark's Head

I managed to slip in some painting time the last couple of days which has been great fun...  Yesterday I taught my morning class and afterwards went across the lawn to Dave Gallup's studio to say hello.  I walked into quite the party!  It was Dave's birthday and one of his students brought him a shark's head.  His birthday wish was to paint it so of course we all had to join in. 

I couldn't stand to leave after we ate the cupcakes. I had to stay and paint.  As the frozen head thawed it got shinier and smellier. By the end of the afternoon its little nose started to shrivel up.  It must have been having trouble with the aroma too! We all ended up with some facsimile of a shark and the good feeling that comes from doing something you really love.  

It felt like summer with the fishy smell and a nice coastal breeze coming through the studio.  I'm glad it was Dave's place and not mine though.  I'm not sure how long it will take that place to air out.  I think they spilled a little bit of the melted "shark water."  What we do for art...

3 comments:

  1. It was such a fun day wasn't it?? So good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always an adventure to paint with Dave isn't it? And it was fun to see you as well. We were both up to our elbows in paint so we couldn't visit much but a shared experience like that is so special! It has me dreaming of the Channel Islands...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mako shark is the world's fastest shark--also known as Bonito Shark (vivid indigo coloration)!
    http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/p_shark_speed.htm

    ReplyDelete