Thursday, August 18, 2011

I'm feeling awfully clever now creating an itsy, bitsy art journal.


A good education teaches one how to think. I believe being creative is one of the benchmarks of good thinking.  I believe creativity is innate to everyone and can be developed and fostered.  

See this link for more: Lateral/ Creative Thinking, Edward de Bono  In the meantime...

 I had a wonderful day yesterday with some of the administrators and staff from the Pleasant Valley School District here in Camarillo.  (That is the name and yes, it is a pleasant valley...) Several of the artists here at the Studios held workshops for the school district in the morning.  Some made clay boxes, others drew, still others painted a la Jackson Pollock on the grassy field outside.  I had my group make art journals out of baby sandals and pages they decorated themselves.

Several people yesterday weren't sure what the workshop was about.  There is a huge movement that embraces this concept.

 Art Journalling Images

I think of a journal as a place where my thoughts are gathered into book form.  An art journal is one that includes images of any kind.

Itsy, bitsy journal
I wanted to give people some ideas to take back to the schools. So, I went to the local craft store where I saw a sandal display at the front door.  Since I had a tiny budget I was taken in by the .80 per pair price.  (Each pair made two books so they fit my itsy bitsy budget.) I got stickers, markers, etc. to have the inspiration of new materials. I also sprung for some bristol board which can accept water media.  I like to be able to do a lot to the paper and the sturdy base is good.

Here are some photos which show the basic process I used to assemble the books.


Remove the back part of the thong
Cut the thong leaving a little tab
in the foremost hole
Once you've done this decorate the papers you want to cut up and use the bottom of the sandal as a template for the pages. Mark the spot where you need to punch a hole in the pages and punch the hole.  Then, wiggle the paper over the tab you've left. Finish embellishing and enjoy.  These are a great place to record little things about a vacation, to use as party favors, etc.  

Think on your feet (ARG!) and come up with other ideas for tiny books:)


An alternate way to attach the pages to the "cover."
Another technique I used during Art Camp with the kids.
One of them was inspired to make her own "envelope book"
with staples to bind it.  I made these by folding the tabs over
 on a catalog envelope and punching holes.  Then I used
ribbons to bind it.




1 comment:

  1. So creative--I bet the teachers were all over this!! I must make one of these. Thanks for including great how-to links for art journals. I'm always looking for new ideas. Cereal/cracker boxes for covers I do every year w/students around earth day. I've used metal "O" rings in the past. This makes me think this year I'll go with string or yarn, more esthetic and environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete