Sunday, January 2, 2011

I'm thinking....


9 x 12 oil, Rain over the Strawberry Fields

So, the creative process.  I'm starting.  I've jumped in with great enthusiasm and painted every day this year.  I've started a new blog.  I've even kept up with those postings.  I've done one every single day...and I'm beating myself up because I have no idea what to say here!  

Stick with me now; I can ramble.

My concept is good but a little fuzzy.  I want to share some of what makes me tick as an artist.  Not so easy.  This means I have to be honest, right?  I need to admit it when I have no idea what I'm doing.  Well, maybe, but it's more important to just jump in.  That's always been my style.  It can get a little messy, even sloppy. I promise to clean up after myself!

Next thing to do.  I'm making a commitment to stay positive here.  This may get hard but it makes a big difference in how "things" turn out.

Now, I've thought of some things I can share later. You know, when I really can't think of anything meaningful to put down here.

Great topics for conversation:  (Feel free to jump in here, this is brainstorming, the part where you basically come up with any idea that comes to mind and don't edit or judge its worthiness. That comes later.)

  • The concepts of Entropy and Chaos Theory and how they relate to creativity, aka: This is why my room gets so messy when I'm working.
  • The French concept of wandering aimlessly:  a great way to explore getting things done while doing "nothing"
  • Manifesting ideas:  Do I have to write this down?
  • Seeing the world in a unique way:  Dr. Shiroyama and my new glasses
  • How to critique:  I'll talk about Cathy Queil, one of the best artists I know at seeing the good in ANY painting
  • Changing your brain chemistry (or how to teach an old dog new tricks)  
Well, that's more than enough to start with.  

I did enjoy painting at the kitchen sink this afternoon.  The rain is starting to get to me but I'm working on making luminous, beautiful grays with oil paint and the sky was so beautiful...I thought I'd give it a whirl.  

6 comments:

  1. I love this!! And I like your thoughts!!! Good for you... I'm adding you to my sidebar so I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! I think this is going to be fun and I hope it adds a little bit of good to the world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are awesome. I have been following your blog from day 1, but you can't see me listed due to technical difficulties on this end. ttfn:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woops, forgot to say I painted the piece for this post on the 2nd. The sky is so gorgeous this time of year. We don't get this many clouds in the summer and, of course, the golden light that we have this time of year is wonderful. The sun was glowing in and out of the clouds and changed every two minutes. I love it when you can see the rain so many miles away too. This was done facing the same direction as the January 1 painting. It doesn't even look like the same place...

    ReplyDelete