Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." - Shunryu Suzuki-Roshi

  Still life with narcissus, 9 x 12 oil



There is a concept in Zen Buddhism called "beginner's mind."  Basically it encourages one to approach life and experiences as something fresh and new regardless of one's proficiency in a given area.  When I'm learning something I enjoy the amazing growth that happens when I'm just starting. 

I began studying oil painting when I first moved into Studio Channel Islands Art Center (SCIART) about 5 1/2 months ago.  I'm surrounded by  master oil painters and just thought it would be good to take advantage of the proximity.

I've wondered a bit about why in the world I would start to learn to paint in oils when I've become very proficient in watermedia.  I've worked in that arena for 10 years. But I'm eager to try something new...

I don't think of it as starting over.  It's part of my artistic growth.  I have a very specific vision of how I want my paintings to look.  I love color, energy, depth and texture.  My process is to explore different ways of expressing that look.  I think it's working.  I'm amazed at the progress I'm making in oils.

My focus right now is on getting comfortable with oil paint and improving my drawing ability. (See Mr. Parker's fish posting.) I can see the improvement in my drawing skills in this still life. I'm catching on to painting light rather than objects.  I'm also learning to enjoy the still life work even though I started with a very bad attitude. Basically I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than paint one.  Woops, maybe I mean a paint brush! 

I'm excited because this painting and another figure I did recently read like many of my watercolors.  I'm teaching and exhibiting that work regularly so that's great. The work I'm best at will improve because I decided to risk being really bad at something new.   

Now for my promised tidbit at the end of the blog. This one is weak but I remember having fun with it...Try this game with a friend.  

Take a piece of paper and a pencil or pen, close your eyes and draw.  Stop.  Now have your friend look at whatever you've done and continue.  Take turns.  You'll end up with a fun collaborative doodle.  This exercise is thanks to my friend Barb Seery and me as a 7th grade girl:)  (Andy, I think we dotted our bubble-written "i" 's with hearts, the original emoticons.)


4 comments:

  1. The trick with the drawing is that you have to stop whenever you pick your pencil up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful--I like the quality of light in the center. It seems to hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW.. Mary-Gail I really love this. I saw the set up and your interpretation is awesome!! REALLY awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marian, high praise coming from a fellow artist. I find Dave's "following the light" method challenging but the results are great. I did have two humbling paintings today. I tried the teacup and could have used 3 more hours to do it well. I had to go:( after class so I didn't get that opportunity. Then I did life painting. WHAT a mess. I'm bailing on the oils for the next week to prep for my demo Thursday, classes, shows....All good things.

    ReplyDelete