Saturday, January 15, 2011

Persistence and knowing when to quit...


I've worked all day and I'm having trouble painting.   Instead of turning inward to listen to my own voice I'm worried about my audience and feeling exposed.  Creating art is a very intimate process.  It's wonderful when it just flows from the brush and I know what I'm doing is objectively good.  It's another when I struggle.  I like to do well.  I don't want to look stupid.  Pride and fear of exposure kill creativity.   




I am so over-thinking this.
My dilemma is to decide what next.  Eureka!  I'm going to watch a movie and relax!  


Time to walk away from the paint and the computer.  I'll be back when I've refreshed myself and admitted that I'm human:)




 ttfn


5 comments:

  1. I so get the "exposure" part.....my best paintings are when I can block out any thoughts of how my artwork will be received. Not painting for an audience produces my BEST paintings. So hard to keep my head clear of all judgment though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLKhP_32xA

    Check out this video - it's from Sesame Street from when our kids were little - a wonderful reminder about perspective. Everything looks a little different when we step back and ultimately step forward. Enjoy the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting really pulls you into the action. It looks like it is splashing off the canvas. It reminds me of a painting described in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Part of the Narnia Chronicles)...viewers actually entered a new reality when they looked closely at a particular painting...vivid--painterly approach--the viewer shares the moment of insight with the artist.

    Love the Sesame Street link...perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth! It's much more subdued in person. The yellows aren't quite so overpowering. My guess is I'll put this one aside and revisit it later!

    I remember Sesame street starting when you were about 5...I never watched it as a kid but certainly enjoyed it as a mom! Btw, you'd love Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured something out! I'm going to develop the upper section (which looks incredibly lemon yellow here and is much more subdued in person.) with some crayon and pencil to add line and definition to the cliff. I think the foam on the wave could be a little more defined as well. That will further develop the focal point area. I just need to make sure the main area of interest isn't too close to the edge of the page. The large white shape is a little weird/uncomfortable to me as well. I can fix that!

    ReplyDelete