Saturday, January 29, 2011

Behind the scenes; Getting ready for an art exhibit

Getting a show together always takes me a while.  Even when the paintings are framed it seems I always have a dust cover or two to replace. Labels have to be printed; a new artist's statement written.  Sometimes there's even a bit of touch up on the paintings.  I'm (as you've seen before) meticulous about my final presentation even though I'm a very messy painter and can't paint in the lines to save my life!  I have to make sure my "babies" look their best when they go out into the world.

Tomorrow I'll take the gorgeous drive up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway to non-Californians) to Santa Barbara to hang the show, take photos, etc. I'll hit the art supply store for supplies I need for my Tuesday classes and enjoy the beach and the sunshine.  I hope to visit a friend who shows his art down there on the weekends.  Not a bad day's work if you can get it.

This show focuses on work from my Channel Islands trip last fall.  I keep revisiting it.  It was such a special experience and it will change the way I paint forever.  The ocean, the pristine land and wild animals and the amazing artists are part of that.  

Now I am finding my way into a new style of painting that embraces my free, organic style and adds a bit of realism.  I'm learning more about color; reinforcing and developing my sense of design and simply reveling in the paint!  It's fun to be able to share that through this exhibit.

I'll keep you posted on the reception which is part of First Thursday in Santa Barbara.  If you're local stop by Gallery 113 on Arcada Court right behind the museum.  I'll be there Thursday, February 3 from 5-8 PM.  



No comments:

Post a Comment