Monday, January 17, 2011

Manifesting Reality: Do I have to write this down?

Batiquitos Lagoon and Santa Barbara 101
These are here to make me feel good
about being able to paint
!
  I'm back and I've come up with an approach to clear my head so that I can get my work done.  Stop, play and sleep!


 (Btw, My blog, and my sister, came to the rescue with an insightful comment on the painting I'm talking smack about!   Go to January fifthteenth's comments to check it out.  I'm ready to channel Prince Caspian and get back to it.  Thanks Beth!) 

In looking at my laundry list (see A Room of One's Own) I have a lot to do.  In order to do it well my planning needs to be seamless, particularly since I have a busy life surrounding all of the special projects.  It's time to make another list.


So what AM I trying to do here?  My biggest issue is that I'm nervous about the presentation I have coming up .  It's blocking my creativity.  In other words the frustrating painting from yesterday just isn't the problem here. Calming myself down so I can take care of business is.


So, on to planning and writing this down.  I'm manifesting reality. 
I consider myself an expressive painter and a colorist.  I work from the big picture to specific detail.  I enjoy abstraction and ambiguity.  Control is important to me but so are serendipity and discovery.  I want to get lost in a painting.  Color and texture are the main ways I express my feelings as I paint... Design is how I organize it all so that the picture makes sense visually.   







I'm presenting my approach to painting on Yupo.  It's a plastic paper that's impermeable to water and very durable.   It shows every touch of the brush and responds to paint and water in a very exaggerated way compared to traditional watercolor paper. Colors appear more vivid than on traditional paper because the pigments float on the surface rather than sinking in. 



My audience is a group of professional artists who excel in their specific mediums.  Many of them are friends and some are professional acquaintances.  They've hired me to show them how I use a specific painting medium and they want to try it out themselves.  In other words they believe in my qualifications and are looking forward to learning something.  


This medium is a language I'm fluent in and because of that I can focus on my message.  I feel comfortable using this process and am able to work on expressing myself clearly with it. 


Now all I have to do is set my props up as if I'm doing a cooking show and I'm off!




Here's where I'll be Thursday, January 22, 2011 from 7-9:  Thousand Oaks Community Gallery, 2331 Borchard Road # A Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 - (805) 498-4390
It's free to members and $10 for non-members.  There will be a hands on component for attendees.  I'll also have information about upcoming workshops and classes!


No comments:

Post a Comment